Sunday, March 25, 2012

My busy weekend

Well, I’ve had a very busy weekend. I worked overtime on Saturday……then came home and made a table runner and started working on a  Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt. I really need to get my house clean, but I don’t find too much enjoyment in that anymore….I’d rather be quilting! I’m scheduled off on Wednesday, so hopefully I’ll get the house somewhat clean and get some more sewing done.

The table runner I made is a bridal shower gift, it’s in the colors of the bride’s kitchen. Turquoise, terra cotta and brown. I’m real happy with the free motion quilting and just basically how it turned out. I used the Retro Flower design that I made my daughter Lesley’s quilt from. I wanted to get some practice in on the free motion quilting and try and figure out what to for Lesley’s quilt. I was very happy with the design I chose…..so this is probably what I’ll end up doing for the much larger Retro Flower Quilt. These pictures just don’t do the table runner justice, it looks much better in real life….

DSC03364DSC03367DSC03372

I’ve decided to get busy and make hexagons using the English paper piecing method…..I figured I would call it my FedEx Quilt since I’ve started working on it in the mornings when we have late freight. I’ve decided it’s a bit addictive, I want to take my hexagons with me every where I go, you never know when you might have a spare minute to get one sewn together! DSC03360

DSC03355

I have big plans for this Grandmother’s flower garden quilt….I’d like to incorporate some hand applique designs in the border. I’m only in the planning stages now, but I’m sure by the time I’ve gotten hundreds more of these made, I’ll know just what I want to do! I’m excited about this because it’s another scrap quilt. I’m using 1” hexagons for the flowers. I found a website on line that you can print different size hexagons for the paper piecing, it works great. You have to cut them out, but it’s well worth it, I just print them on card stock, I get enough hexagons to make two flowers on one sheet of paper. I’ll keep my blog updated with my hexagon flower progress!

Well, it’s time to bring this weekend to a close…..it’s bedtime and it’s off to work tomorrow morning.

Happy quilting! Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment