Monday, March 19, 2012

Hugs & Kisses quilt is completely done!

The Hugs & Kisses scrap quilt that I started from Lesley’s Retro Flower quilt is finished. I bound it last night while I was watching T.V…….actually I was watching my binding while the T.V. was on last night! I was just sitting there to keep my husband company.  I guess I’d give myself an 85% on my free motion quilting, it’s okay…nothing great, but nothing to be embarrassed of either. I felt like a learned a lot doing this one, and that’s a good thing. In the picture below I still need to cut some strings, so if you see some that’s why.

DSC03337Before it got bound…..This quilt isn’t some of my best work in the piecing department, it’s hard to match up the whites in the diamond in the middle of the block…..I got to the point where I just wanted to get the quilt done, so I let some things slide by that I normally wouldn’t DSC03342And here is the finished product. I used scraps for the binding too, that took much longer because of sewing little pieces together to get the binding long enough to go around the quilt. So overall, I’m very happy with the finished product. Now I feel like I’ve got the ‘mojo’ going so I can get the Retro Flower quilt done too! DSC03344DSC03346

I will say that a tutorial by Anne Fahl found on sewcalgal’s blog helped me in my free motion quilting. Every month for the year 2012 sewcalgal will have a guest teacher submit a free motion tutorial. I really enjoyed this month’s advice. It was very beneficial.

I also purchased the last BOM for my Aunt Grace’s Garden Party…it’s basically the fabric for the borders and binding. My sister Susi saw it and I think she really wants it, we’ll have to wait and see whose home it ends up in. Hopefully I’ll get it done real soon now. I also need to finish my Patriots in Petticoats BOM….just need to do borders to finish it too. I feel like I’m actually getting lots done lately, it’s a good feeling! Now if only I’d have that good feeling about cleaning my house too!

Happy quilting, Kris

8 comments:

  1. It looks really good, mom, I love it!

    P.S. I'm sure the result of you "letting things slide" would be many people's "perfect". You're just that good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy.....I pinned this picture about 15 minutes ago and it's already been re-pinned 8 times and there are about that many likes....wow....that is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! I love it! Yet I'm a sucker for bright, non-traditional quilts. You have inspired me to try machine quilting. I bought a book Saturday that has a lot of tips and pictures in it. it will be awhile before I actually try it though...my current machine doesn't have a darning foot or an accurate stitch regulator. Some day though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna...it was nice seeing you in person today.....I haven't had a chance to visit with you in a while. Let me know who the author of the book you bought is...Just curious...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Free-Motion Machine Quilting by Don Linn....from practice to perfection a troubleshooting guide. I also pre-ordered Free Motion Quilting with Angela Walters...I love her work...you can check out her blog at http://quiltingismytherapy.com/ Your quilt is even better in person...I'm glad you stopped by today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks...I also have a free motion quilting book by Don Linn. My mom bought it for me, it's a pretty good book. I will go to that website of Angela Walters, I think I've seen some of her stuff before, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She has been published a lot lately....she also quilts the jaybird quilts for their patterns....she is very talented and thinks outside the box which I like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's beautiful! Great job on the FMQ and I really like how you used a different pattern on the inner border and I LOVE the colors. Will have to check out the books and sights mentioned.

    ReplyDelete