Sunday, March 4, 2012

Aunt Grace’s Garden Party almost done….

My Aunt Grace’s Garden Party BOM is almost all done, I just need to go in the Quilt shop and get my last month’s BOM! I’ve got all of the strips done and now I just need to add a few smaller borders and then the outer border….Good for me!

I’ve finally figured out how to do the Grandmother’s flower garden pieces that are English paper pieced. I’ve always known what I needed to do, but had never really put it into practice, but by the last four that were made I had it completely figured out and I’m very happy with how they look. I’m also very happy with all of my hand applique work. Like I’ve said before….straw needles and silk thread make all of the difference in the world!

DSC03319

DSC03321DSC03317

English paper piecing……very time consuming, but I love how they look.DSC03316

The next question is whether or not to put on a small colored strip inside of the outer wide white border of Lesley’s Retro Flower quilt…..I think it needs it, but I’m not sure what to do. I think I need my daughter Lesley to look at this and tell me what she thinks. I want to put a smaller 3” border on and then about a 6” white border on the outside edge. I want to use a bunch of the brighter scraps from the flowers to make the binding.It will really show up against the white. DSC03323If I didn’t have bunches of other quilts already lined up to get started on….I think I would be looking to do another quilt that had quite a bit of applique in it. I’m feeling it! I think I need to keep at it until I’m completely comfortable doing it. I’m almost there. I think when I get these two done, I need to do a bunch of free motion quilting. I will have a total of 8 tops done that need quilted…It just keeps getting scarier thinking about it.

Happy quilting! Kris

3 comments:

  1. You are way farther ahead than I am. I am much better at purchasing fabric than I am at sewing it together. I bought some Sweetwater "reunion" prints by Moda this weekend that I had been eyeing online for quite some time. Of course they were even better in person, so I bought enough for a baby quilt. Maybe if I ever get my sewing room/office organized I can actually get some things done....but when it comes down to babysitting cute little kiddos, or cleaning the office...the office always comes in second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna...where did you buy your Sweetwater reunion prints at? I'm going to look them up on line as soon as I'm done here. Do you like making smaller things like baby quilts instead of full size quilts? I need to get busy and get a baby quilt made, I've had the fabric for about 3 months now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a beginner....so I find that baby quilts are more manageable, and they let me make mistakes on a smaller scale. I have material for about six....but have been pining over the sweetwater fabric for a few months now....so when I saw it, I had to buy it. We have a few babies joining our family this summer so I need to get busy. Here is their website/blog.... http://sweetwater.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete