Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Farmer’s Wife Sampler Quilt

Today seemed like a good day to pull out my Farmer’s Wife Sampler Quilt blocks that I started last October or November….I can’t remember exactly when for sure.  I started with the goal of making 2-3 blocks a week, and was doing pretty good when I had to get all of the throws my mom made quilted before Christmas. I just packed them up and put them away…..It was fun to get them out and look at them. I’d only had about 10 of them done, and I finished three more today. They are so much fun to make. I would say the only problem for me is that they are made using templates, I absolutely hate using templates. Just give me the measurements and I’ll get my rotary cutter and get to work. The book: The Farmer’s Wife Sampler Quilt comes with a CD of all of the templates, so you just have to print them and then use them. The blocks are supposed to finish at 6 inches, I’m not sure if they mean 6 inches unfinished or 6 inches finished. The book does not explain things very well, so if you’re a beginner I would say this is not the book for you. My blocks are 6 1/4 inches unfinished. I think the templates are printing a little bit smaller than the size they actually should be. I’m having fun doing these, but at the same time I’m very frustrated too. DSC03527

These blocks will be set together on point, with 1” setting strips and a cornerstone. There are 111 blocks in the finished quilt, so I have a long ways to go! I’m trying to use just scraps for these blocks……..that’s part of the fun of this quilt too.DSC03519DSC03529DSC03530DSC03531DSC03526DSC03522My hexagon flower quilt is growing! I’ve got to get busy and get some of the lighter colored flowers done, those are the ones I seem to be running out of. I’m still making 2-4 of these flowers every day, so I haven’t gotten tired of them yet.

I’m enjoying being inside, it’s very hot and extremely windy today. Well, it’s back to my sewing room!

Happy quilting, Kris

2 comments:

  1. Hey....do you get this magazine? http://www.primitivequiltsandprojects.com/
    I picked one up the other day because it reminded me of you and your latest BOM project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen that magazine before...but it looks like something I would like. Next time I come to New Age...I'll have to find you and see if you have it with you!

    ReplyDelete