Sunday, May 20, 2012

I love English Paper Piecing

As most of you already know…I’m working on a Grandmother’s Flower garden quilt using the English paper piecing method. I’ve made hundreds of hexies so far and I really enjoy working on them when I’m sitting in my easy chair in the evenings after work. While in a quilt store a few weeks ago…my sister and I saw a new book titledEnglish Paper Piecing’ by Vicki Bellino….there was a table runner in it that my sister Susi and I immediately fell in love with. It was made using the Aunt Grace’s fabric from the Garden Party BOM I just finished a couple of months ago.  I knew I had to make this table runner…..it just stuck with me and that’s all I could think about. Vicki Bellino designed the Garden Party BOM and she also designed the next BOM I’m starting in June called Vintage Rouge’. I had quite a bit of fabric left over from the Garden Party BOM so I decided to make one for my sister and one for me. I just finished the one for my sister today. I like how it turned out, the little dresden plate flowers in this runner are kind of small and time consuming. I think I’ll wait a few weeks before I start on  the one for me. I only had to buy 1/4 of a yard of fabric to make two of these runners….Not too bad! The flowers, leaves and vines were all hand appliqued, it would be pretty easy to sew them down with a machine, but I think that sometimes doesn’t look as good as the hand applique.

DSC03499DSC03496

And here is a picture of the runner and my sister Susi who I made it for. She loved it. It made me happy to give it to her!

Happy Quilting, Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment