Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Calling All Silk Ties……

Well, the word is out on the streets….I’m looking for old silk ties. I’ve done pretty well these past few days since I’ve decided that I want to make a silk tie quilt. My previous post has a few pictures of the start of my collection and now I’ve gotten a large donation from my mom! These ties belonged to my dad and my uncle. My uncle was a radio personality in the midwest….his name was Dick ‘Noodlesoup’ Klasi…..he was on the radio a long time ago….thinking about the 40’s and 50’s, maybe even earlier. He was a cowboy singer, so most of his ties had horses or something western on them, most of them are very narrow and bright red…..I really like that about them. My dad’s ties are a bit more subdued….he was a high school principal before he quit and came back to the family farm. I had a great time looking through them last night. My mom told me she has a book about silk tie quilts that she loaned out about 20 years ago, she remembered who had it, gave her a call and should have the book back today! I am very anxious to see who wrote it and what’s in it. DSC03458DSC03460DSC03461I think I got about 90 ties from my mom…so I now have over 100 ties. Wilber is helping me count them!

DSC03462

This is a special order baby blanket that is almost done. I’m just working on the binding. Very simple….just flannel and minkee.

Happy Quilting Kris!

No comments:

Post a Comment