Saturday, February 11, 2012

It’s Saturday and I’m working on Aunt Grace’s Garden Party BOM….I’m only 2 months behind!

Since I’ve finished free motion quilting my mom’s throws….(12 of them!) I decided it was time to do some catching up on lots of different  projects. One of them is my Aunt Grace’s BOM, this is a 6 month block of the month made from reproduction 30’s fabric. It’s different in that you do a whole strip every month instead of a block. I like how it’s turning out so far and it’s really my first true attempt at hand appliqueing. So far I think I’m doing okay, but I’ve already learned a lot on what not to do. If I made another one of these it would turn out lots better, but I don’t think I’ll get around to doing another one! One thing I will say about this BOM is that if you weren’t a quilter, this one would be rather confusing to figure out. The instructions are just okay….not much help in the applique department, you already need to know what to do, or you might be in trouble.DSC03246

DSC03247The picture below is the next strip I’m working on…It’s the large center strip with lots of applique and the Grandmother’s Flower Garden Flowers in it. I’ve pretty much got everything ‘applique’ done so now I just need to get the half square triangle blocks done for the baskets and then it’s time to sew it all together. I figure I’ve got the hard part done already. DSC03249I also would recommend using the press bars when making the bias stems or vines. These really come in handy when presssing them. They are from Collins and you can find them in most quilt stores and they are also available on line. DSC03251

Well, I’d better get back to my sewing room! Aunt Grace here I come!

Kris

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Christy! I sure love doing this! I could quilt all day if I didn't have to go to work to be able to afford to buy more fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12 throws for your mom? That is awesome, Kris!! You are having so much fun quilting and piecing. :-)

    ReplyDelete