Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July! God Bless the USA!

I have the day off and was pleasantly surprised by my younger daughter, Lesley  who lives in Kansas City. She called me in the middle of my jelly making to tell me they were on their way to visit us. Erik and Lesley haven’t been home since Christmas, so it’s time for a visit. I got up this morning with the intention of making at least two batches of jelly, I would have liked to have made more, but I would have needed to make a trip to the store for more SureJell, sugar and lids. By the time I got my Rhubarb Jelly and Cherry Almond Jam made, it was getting pretty hot outside, so I figured it was time to quit. I would like to get some more rhubarb juice in the freezer before the rhubarb quits this summer, if you like rhubarb, this is the jelly for you. It is absolutely yummy! I have a real red rhubarb in my garden too, which makes such a pretty dark pink jelly. DSC03585I’ve been doing a lot of hand sewing on my hexie quilt. I twisted my ankle at work last Thursday when I got out of my van to deliver a package and  stepped in a pothole. I was down so fast I didn’t even know what  happened. I’m too old to be falling like that, I have a fat ankle, foot and toes. I’m black and blue half way up my calf. I’m still swollen and a little black and blue, but very slowly it’s getting better. I’ve been sitting in my chair with my foot up and stitching away! I’ve managed quite well at work too. I feel very fortunate that I didn’t get hurt any worse.

My hexie quilt is made with 1” hexies and is now 13 rows by 11 rows. I still have lots more to make, but it’s looking like a quilt now. When I get the white border and the applique on the border I think it will really look nice.

DSC03590

I’m up to block number 78 on my Farmer’s Wife Quilt. I am having a wonderful time with this quilt, I never get bored with making the same block over and over as all 111 of the 6 1/2” blocks are different. I ordered the Farmer’s Wife Pony Quilt Book this morning. It uses about 90 8” blocks and is along the same lines as this quilt. I’m excited to get it and just look at all of the different blocks. That will be a project I’ll get started when this one is done.

DSC03587

DSC03591

And here is my helper ‘Wilber’….he loves my fabric about as much as I do!

Happy quilting, Kris

1 comment:

  1. One inch hexagons are you crazy? You have A LOT more patience (and talent) than I do! Hope your ankle heals fast....for the record, you DID have our deepest sympathies that day :).

    ReplyDelete