Sunday, November 3, 2013

I’m a happy girl….I’ve discovered the joys of owning a ‘walking foot’!

I’ve owned only Berninas for the last 30 years or so. I bought a new machine about 2 years ago…A Bernina QE (Quilter’s Edition) Aurora 440, but I had to keep my old 1080 Bernina because it was such a good friend and had been there for me for many years. I still pull it out and use it every once in a while! My old Bernie had been very good to me. Well, my new machine has a BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) which I use quite often when I’m free motion quilting and a Walking foot, which has just sat in the box since I purchased the machine. I’ve  been trying to figure out how to attach wide satin binding to flannel/minky etc… for baby blankets and make it look neat and not all wavy and puckery….I finally remembered I had a walking foot somewhere and I thought I might as well give it a try. I had a preconceived notion it would take a long time to attach, but I found out it goes on as fast as a normal ‘foot’ does, and much to my surprise it made a world of difference. I’ve been watching youtube videos of people attaching the satin binding and they say how they don’t pin it on, just sew using a normal foot and from what I could see they had lots of waves and ripples. I experimented with my walking foot and I pinned a lot, and I had great results. I know these pieces of flannel don’t exactly look great together, but it’s all I had on hand, and I was raring to go to give my ideas a try! I also seamed the binding like you would a normal binding and I think it looks much better than most of the suggestions on the internet and youtube.DSC03921

DSC03922

So since I’ve fallen in love with my walking foot I thought that adding regular binding would be a piece of cake for the walking foot, and it definitely was! I doubt I’ll ever sew it on with a regular foot again!DSC03925DSC03932

My wool applique table runner that is almost done…..I sewed this binding down with my walking foot and it was super easy and I loved how it worked.DSC03934

And here is my 4th BOM of Evelyn’s Garden….All fused down and I only need to blanket stitch around the wool now….Fun handwork!

DSC03936

And the last three scarves I’ve knitted…the middle one is a pretty green, this picture just doesn’t show it like it really is.

Happy Quilting! Kris

2 comments:

  1. Now, this is what I want to learn! I may have to invest in a walking foot, someone else was telling me to get one as well, especially since I want to do a little bit of quilting. Nothing crazy just straight lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn....if you want to do any quilting...especially straight lines you will most definitely need a walking foot. If you have a walking foot, putting on this satin binding will be pretty easy for you ....I can give you a few tips and you should be good to go!

      Delete