Saturday, June 6, 2015

I WILL FINISH more UFOs!!! (and I really do mean it!)

I've been sewing a lot this week and I'm more determined than ever to keep working on UFOs (any thing unfinished) and to not even think of starting any new projects. I must get some 'unfinished business' done; mainly, my nephew's t-shirt quilt, my mom's civil war quilt, a flannel bow-tie quilt, put together my 'Love Covers' Quilt (the embroidered blocks are all done), bind a few quilts, quilt about 10 tops (literally), quilt Karmon's table runner and the list goes on and on and on.....I've been collecting American Jane Fabric and I want to start a quilt with that fabric extremely bad. I've also been beefing up my collection of Aunt Grace's (1930 reproduction prints) to make a quilt for a very good friend. I'd like to get started making some blocks from the new book I purchased,  FARM GIRL VINTAGE. I have so much I want to do and realize I probably won't live long enough to even get a fraction of these things done, but it's very fulfilling and exciting just planning what I want to do next.

 These are my latest American Jane purchases! I love this fabric and can't believe I've missed  it all these years.I now have  a pretty good size stash and can probably make at least two quilts or more with what I have. I like it because it looks retro and it reminds me somewhat of Aunt Grace's, but in brighter colors.





 




My 1/2" hexagon quilt is  growing daily...I work on this almost every day on my break at work and in the evenings while watching t.v......the next row I'll be adding is yellow, I'll need 42 of them and hopefully I'll have enough scraps of yellow to make each one different. When I look at this it's hard to believe that it's all done by hand...and I think I've mentioned before how much I like hand work...I LOVE IT! 

I've been watching Longarm tutorials on You tube every morning when I treadmill, and one of them made me realize that I need to practice on my longarm more....and to just 'go for it' even if it doesn't look the greatest in the end...this is one of those projects...half of the table runner is done one way and the other half another way...it's not the greatest, but overall I learned a lot doing it. So it wasn't a waste of my time and I got it done. These were the circle blocks that I made when I first started my grandson's quilt...they are the rejects, so I figured I'd just use them in a table runner and experiment with my longarm...so I guess overall  you could call this a success!



 I'm working on the back of my nephew's t-shirt quilt now, and it's like putting a puzzle together! The front is more formal and it's made up of 20 t-shirt blocks...I'm doing my best to use all of the blocks they gave me and now I'm going to be a few short...but I'm sure I'll make it work somehow! I will be very glad when this quilt is done. My mom was going to make it for him, but right after she got it she had to go in the nursing home and couldn't finish it. So Auntie Kris to the rescue!
Off I go to finish up some quilts! 
Happy quilting
Kris

2 comments:

  1. That T-shirt quilt is going to be so awesome! I agree T-shirt quilts are a puzzle, it's like playing Quilting Tetris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn...this is just the back...I had so many t-shirts I figured I'd use them as the backing also...the front is made up of 20 t-shirt blocks...I'm thinking I'll have to just use a flannel instead of batting since it might be too heavy with both sides being t-shirts....I loved the one you just finished!

      Delete